Developing one’s career is multifaceted and takes time, energy and intentionality. In a competitive market one must differentiate. Here are five ways to stand out and help your career develop over the long-term:
- Grow your network- it’s about who you know and who knows you. Spend time each month connecting with new people to expand your network. 70%-80% of jobs are found through networking.
- Know your value proposition- what is your calling card? Communicate this through words and actions. Include tangible results when communicating your value- not just phrases like “hard-worker” or “loyal”.
- Help others- don’t always make it about you. Help other people find solutions to their problems. Give referrals to recruiters.
- Perform in your job- help your boss win. Create value for the company and your boss.
- Have a learner’s mindset - never stagnate. Learn new skills and never stop growing. Become indispensable.
Respond on this blog what you would add to this list!