As an executive it’s easy to lose touch with staying marketable in today’s competitive environment. We all get busy doing our own jobs- it’s easy to forget about maintain and growing our network, keeping a current resume, and understanding the needs of employers. Here are a few tips on staying marketable:
- Perform in your present job. Create value for your employer. Be intentional about achieving the results that your employer desires.
- Build and maintain a network. Ideally you want to make 5-10 phone calls per week to grow an active network.
- Help others, including recruiters and colleagues. Helping others is a simple way to maintain your network.
- Maintain (or better yet, have a professional do it) a current resume. Resumes change every 2-3 years. You want to stand out and appear relevant. You do not want an old resume as this makes you look out of touch.
- Know and communicate your value proposition.
- Know your number (X-Y’s). How have you moved the needle on service, quality, growth, market share, profitability?
- Grow professionally. Earn a degree, certification, or extra training.
If you need to sharpen your competitive edge, contact us at www.wiederholdassoc.com to learn more about staying marketable in today’s competitive environment.